How do I use the Why as a decision-making filter? Simon Sinek - Simon Sinek
logoblog

How do I use the Why as a decision-making filter? Simon Sinek

- to read...

I often say that we have to use our wise as a filter and that it should serve as the context but the decisions we make.


But, it raises a very practical question how do you do that well it's like a lot of things we have filters for all kinds of things every day of our lives where we use these things to us you know to decide if we think something is right or wrong we have it we have a moral compass we have a moral code when someone asks us to do something illegal or something that would hurt somebody else we don't have to sit and read the law to decide whether we can or kind of do this we have a moral compass that says yeah I'm gonna pass on that that that doesn't sit well with me that doesn't fit with.


Who I am or how I was raised right in other words we have these moral compasses well the wise serves exactly the same thing when we are clear on our why it's as if that compass that moral compass is right in front of us so when someone asks us to do something we can actually see if it's saying yes this will help with this no this won't help so very often someone come to me and say we want you to come and help our company and I'll say great so tell me tell me what so what's your cause what's your company's why why do you do what you do and then they'll say something like our company's wise to increase the bottom line at any expense because we want to be the biggest most successful company our industry.


Now my compass is spinning all around I'm going whoa let me tell you what I believe and I believe in people I believe in looking after your human beings I believe in serving your employees oh yeah you know we think that's important too you can see immediately the thing that I put as priority number one that they prayed put his part number 80232 for I'm not gonna have a good time with these guys and we're not going to align so I'll usually pass on something like that's an example of me using my way to help me make a decision.


The hard part is sometimes you know there's a lot of money or benefits or perks that are offered and those things are super tempting and that's why these things are hard to do we have the strength of character to turn down a bounty to do something that we not only know is right but more importantly that brings us happiness joy and fulfillment and those are really really hard decisions mean to minimize them at all but that's sort of how a Wye serves as context we use it as a moral compass and the more clearly that Y is articulated the easier it is to see that compass 

No comments:

Post a Comment